Android Picture in Picture (PiP) fashion is a special feature that lets you sentry a video in a small overlay window at the corner of the screen equally you hop from app to app. This way, you tin can binge watch Netflix, or search for something on Google while casually chatting with a friend on a different app.
The feature, which is more often than not used for video playback, is found in Android smartphones running Android Oreo and later versions of the operating organization.
Nosotros’ll explain how Android picture in motion-picture show fashion works and how to use it on your smartphone or tablet.
How Flick in Motion-picture show Works
PiP is a convenient characteristic that comes in handy when you start watching a video on a compatible app and desire to multitask.
When you tap the home push on your phone, the video will compress into a thumbnail view, which remains docked on your screen. This style, yous can proceed watching your video while using other apps with PiP turned on.
Plus, you can zoom in or out and adjust to dissimilar sizes depending on what you’re doing on the phone.
If the window is getting in the way, yous tin drag or swipe it to different parts of the screen to dock the thumbnail and continue playing on superlative of other apps. The audio will still continue to play and y’all can use the tab to pull the window out over again.
Android’s Picture show in Motion-picture show mode isn’t compatible with all apps but you can check the app developer’s site to find out whether the program supports this office. Some of the apps that support PiP mode include Google Chrome, YouTube Premium, Google Maps, YouTube TV, Netflix, Google Movies & Television receiver, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp (video chats), Google Duo, VLC, Hulu, and Pocket Casts (video podcasts).
How to Use Android Flick in Movie Way
Before using the Android PiP fashion, cheque that all your Android apps are upwards to date and then accept the steps below to enable picture in picture mode.
Annotation: If your device is running Android Oreo (8.0) and above, PiP way is enabled past default.
For this guide, we used an Android phone running Android Pie.
- Go to
on your telephone. Tap
Apps & Notifications
depending on your device.
- Select the app for which you lot want to enable PiP (in older Android versions, select
- Tap to toggle the
option to enable PiP.
How to Launch Android Picture in Picture on Different Apps
Depending on the app, you can launch motion picture-in-picture mode on your Android device by playing a video and pressing the abode button.
How to Use PiP Mode in Google Chrome Browser
If yous’re using
browser, get to the website that contains the video y’all want to watch.
- Open the video and set up it to total screen.
Note: This likewise works for YouTube videos y’all lookout man in Chrome.
Play, and then press
push button to launch the video in PiP mode.
- Drag the video around your phone’southward screen and dock it where you lot want and then you can use other apps while watching the video.
- To close the video, drag the thumbnail view down the bottom of your screen to dismiss information technology.
How to Use PiP Mode in YouTube
For YouTube Premium (formerly YouTube Red), starting time a video and then printing the
button to launch picture-in-picture mode.
YouTube Premium users scan also gear up the YouTube app to default to background play instead of PiP. This manner, you tin watch videos when the screen is off or while using other apps.
- To enable Groundwork play in YouTube Premium, open
Settings, go to
Background & Downloads.
- Y’all’ll meet 3 options to choose from:
- Always on: Your videos will always play in the background
- Headphones or external speakers: Your videos will only play in the background when yous connect an external audio output to your phone
- Off: Your videos won’t play in the background
Annotation: You can lookout videos on the free YouTube app in thumbnail view while multitasking by using the Pop-up view or Split screen view.
To use the popular-upwards or split screen view in the free YouTube app, go to your Recently opened apps view. Find YouTube, downpress the app icon and select
open in pop-up view
open in split-screen view.
The departure between using PiP fashion and using the pop-up or split-screen view is that the latter doesn’t dock to your screen. This means that if y’all close all the apps y’all’re using, the thumbnail view will be airtight and you have to open it once more to resume watching.
How to Use PiP Way in Facebook
If you’re using the Facebook app, you tin watch videos in PiP mode on your telephone while using other apps.
- To do this, open the video you want to watch on Facebook and tap on the little square at the top left corner of the video to minimize the window.
- Your video will shrink in size and you tin can motion information technology to either of the four corners of your screen.
How to Use PiP Mode in VLC
You can also enable PiP in
via the app’southward settings.
- To do this, tap
(three dots) at the bottom right side of the screen.
- Side by side, tap
at the acme left side of the screen.
Background/ PiP mode.
Play videos in Picture-in-picture fashion.
Alternatively, you can use the pop-up actor to enter PiP fashion in VLC.
- To practice this, launch and play the video you want and select
- Adjacent, tap
Popular up player
and the video will shrink to thumbnail view.
- Tap the
button on your telephone to watch the video while you multitask.
How to Use PiP Mode in a WhatsApp Video Call
You tin can likewise use Android Picture in Picture when chatting with friends on a
WhatsApp video telephone call.
- To do this, start the video phone call or bring together ane, and so tap the
button. The video volition open on your home screen in PiP mode.
- To dismiss the video in PiP way, tap the thumbnail view to open the controls, and then tap the
in the upper correct corner of the mini player. Alternatively, drag the thumbnail view and drag the PiP player off the bottom of your phone’s screen.
How to Disable Android Picture in Picture Fashion for Android Apps
- To disable PiP, go to your device’s
Settings > Apps.
- Tap the 3 dots to open the Apps carte du jour and select
- Next, select the app for which you want to disable PiP and tap the toggle to switch it off.
Work and Play on Your Android Device
If you multitask a lot on your Android device, hopping from 1 app to another, you’ll find the Android Motion picture in Picture show (PiP) mode very convenient.
Were you able to enter Picture in Moving-picture show style on your Android device? Share with us in the comments.
Practice non share my Personal Information.