Эта статья на русском.
Only in case: this introduction isn’t about the WF-1000xm4, and then you lot can safely skip it if you want.
Sometimes a company tries to make a good product, but they produce a monster instead. This is exactly the case of the Noble Falcon Pro (my review): these are disgustingly poorly functioning headphones with a rather pleasant sound delivery. After 2 months of use, I had to say goodbye to them, since it turned out that I like to remain sane more than I similar good sound: even afterward the Falcon Pro firmware update, these sometimes weren’t able to connect to my smartphone, the equalizer kept saving the presets it liked (and not what I tried to salve), the control gestures were unstable, and the quality of spoken communication manual was but atrocious. I’m a very patient human, but one thing made me take the final decision. It’s pretty easy to reproduce: the headphones (being ON) should only prevarication next to each other – merely for a minute. Believe me, information technology’due south a mutual thing: for example, when ownership your triple espresso and belongings the headphones in your hand. Or when chatting with your buddy you lot accidentally met when heading abode. Or even when you just fail to put the headphones correct against the contacts in their example. And then there may exist a squeaky seasoning to your daily musical indulgence, and the loudness of such an outcome depends on the concrete position of i earpiece relative to the other and the altitude between them. Which makes me think it has something to do with the magnetic fields. At the maximum book, the squeak can be heard from 10 meters away! I fifty-fifty recorded this, scout with audio (no NSFW, promise):
Theoretizer, hold your horses! There’south no ANC in this model, the acoustic transparency mode is turned off (and can just exist enabled via the app).
How on earth could they possibly miss this crap during testing! Y’all may desire to know why nobody among the reviewers or just users has always dropped a word about this. I suppose, nobody was able to take it for 2 months like I did.
So, hither’s a bitter truth: the Noble Falcon Pro headphones are complete and downright shit. Don’t buy them and don’t even think their sound quality would compensate for all those glitches. PTSD is extremely expensive to care for, yous know.
The Sony WF-1000xm4
Well, why Sony WF-1000xm4? Believe it or not, it’s insanely hard to notice annihilation decent, that’due south why. All of the TWS headphones models I’ve tried (about xxx of them) didn’t fascinate me in any style, and it only so happened that the WF-1000xm3 I once owned were cool. I actually enjoyed them, but and so the battery capacity decided it’s fourth dimension to become.
Therefore, I thought, at least some decent active noise reduction is guaranteed, and ordered the WF-1000xm4 (hereinafter: 1000xm4).
Since the experience of using Falcon Pro was truly traumatizing, let me emphasize i thing: the 1000xm4 are literally stuffed with features – smart, smarter and smartest ones, – and it all works. Like, all of them! Even the automatic music pausing with the parallel acoustic transparency enabling reacts to the user’southward speech, and not any tiny cough, yawn or neighbor reacting to the soccer match. The app is simple and intuitive, the headphones connect to the smartphone immediately once y’all get them out of the instance, and the gestures always work every bit they should. Read more than about it below.
After using the Falcon Pro, such a device experience feels similar a super premium luxury thing during the first couple of days.
From a hardware indicate of view, the sound reproduction is ensured by a 6 mm speaker controlled past the V1 chip, which is actually a MediaTek MT2822SA. Here’s a great article nearly all those 1000xm4 guts.
At the time of writing this article, the current firmware version is ane.ii.half dozen.
The measurements were performed using a modified miniDSP EARS rig calibrated to the IEF target curve for in-ear headphones. The headphones measurements corresponding to the target IEF curve should expect similar a flat curve in my graphs. For each of the earpieces, the measurements were made until 5 reliable and stable measurements were obtained for the left and right channels; any deviant measurement results were excluded. The resulting measurements were obtained by averaging the responses of ii channels, that is, ten measurements in total were taken into account. All diagrams shown feature i/12 octave smoothing. The W-shaped distortions present in the graphs at frequencies around 550, 4500 and 12700 Hz are due to the imperfection of the rig. Don't look at them. For a Bluetooth sound source, the Hiby R5 player was used. For more about rigs, graphs and headphone measurements click here .
The amplitude-frequency response of the 1000xm4 without equalizer, without racket reduction, with DSEE HX disabled and when using LDAC looks like this:
As you may see, there’s a sub-bass very evenly raised upward to +9 dB, smooth mid-range department and a reduced height section with a peak at 16.65 kHz. So the sound delivery is a mighty thing rich with bass and sub-bass, a bit lazy merely with an additional emphasized sparklish hue at the very top of the audible frequency range.
In these headphones, an ultra-depression frequency range section beneath 20 Hz is worth to look at, too:
That is, the 1000xm4 are audible at 7 Hz (which is twice equally quiet as normal). Of course, fifty-fifty at loftier volume, the human ear is unable to hear these 7 – or even 15 Hz, but the fact that it’due south theoretically possible is a practiced thing to know, correct?
The somewhat inflated lower-frequency range tin can be both ‘settled down’ or emphasized even more. This is how the frequency response changes with the equalizer’southward BASS setting is fix 10 units up and downwards:
That is, in Sony’southward stance, the bass starts at 500 Hz: this is where the changes in BASS setting are perceptible. The chief impact falls on the 60 Hz frequency, that is, on the sub-bass office. Also look at the odd bend at the 250 Hz marking.
It would be nice to know whether the codec used somehow affects the headphones’ frequency response. Comparative measurements for LDAC and SBC:
That is, from the point of view of the frequency response, the SBC codec cuts off frequencies at exactly 17 kHz and lowers the higher-frequency superlative by ii dB.
Well, this is pretty much all the objective data to describe the 1000xm4’s sound delivery. Just so you empathize the above pictures correctly, let me note that due to such a bass, sub-bass and the 2-4 kHz range ratio, any vocals and percussion audio as if played from a certain altitude, similar you’re at a concert. And this is the sound your brain would never be tired of. Audiophiliac reviewers usually put it as ‘a well elaborated and deep sound stage’. The feeling of airiness and calibration is reproduced quite decently (if these are nowadays in the recording itself, of class), since the dip at around ten-14 kHz isn’t too deep, and the section around eight kHz is nearly normal.
Not being a big fan of such a delivery (information technology’south subjectively practiced for some), I adopt a smoother, more analytically tuned sound commitment setting for any music genre. And here, again, is where the 1000xm4 didn’t neglect me! Kudos for the fine equalizer allowing to set your preferences, and non a random whatever, for God’southward sake:
With the proposed settings practical, this is what the frequency response looks like:
The departure of no more than ane.five dB at the twoscore to 6 kHz range is merely a vivid value. Y’all can movement the sliders upwardly to 6.iii and 16 kHz, likewise, although the previous setting is just perfect to me. Such a sound signature is practiced for analytical listening in a rather quiet environment, so that the bass and the sub-bass aren’t outnoised by whatsoever external sound sources. Therefore, when heading out to the buzzing urban jungle, yous should either set a slight ascension in the lower function of the audio range (take the bass setting back to 0, for case), or enable active noise reduction.
At present about that mysterious 1000xm4’s frequency response graph with agile noise reduction enabled:
Judging by the measurements, the sound should change very significantly: almost 7 dB of departure at 300 Hz are no joke – this should exist audible very clearly. Simply if you lot generate a sinusoidal indicate at 300 Hz and plough the ANC ON and OFF during the signal playback, then these
300 Hz audio louder with active noise reduction than without it. Practise the aforementioned at the 600 Hz, and the
600 Hz would sound quieter with active noise reduction than without information technology. I really accept no idea about how to translate this graph correctly, and I don’t even sympathize why information technology looks similar this, only subjectively, the sound doesn’t modify very much with the noise reduction turned on. Moreover, information technology mainly changes mainly in the bass and sub-bass sections with these 2 increasing.
I suggest you just don’t look at this graph.
My eye even so hurts after all the failures of the Falcon Pro, but I thought it would be useful to compare the frequency responses of the two models, since their cost is kind of the aforementioned, but I don’t actually remember having seen the Falcon Pro’s measurements anywhere except RAA.
The peak at 16 kHz can’t exist set any lower for the Falcon Pro, it’south already shown as -12 in the app’due south equalizer.
In that location are a couple of other points worth noting.
I deeply dislike the silicone-foam hybrid earpads provided, because I don’t like kneading the earpads earlier using them. It’due south highly unhygienic and takes besides much fourth dimension before I actually can use the headphones, thank you very much. Just and then y’all know: if the 1000xm4 enclosures kind of sink inside the ear canal, then shorter earpads would do (read the article about earpads here):
- Symbio Eartips: these don’t skid from the sound guides, but are besides rigid (for me: I only don’t like it rough);
- CA Andromeda earpads: these simply won’t stay on the sound guides;
- KZ Starline: don’t skid from the sound guides, simply were kind of uncomfortable with these headphones;
SpiralDots: are good in terms of hold, and are simply correct for my ears.
But! If the earpiece doesn’t fit into the ear culvert entirely, then consider something more authentic like SpinFit or XELASTEC SednaEarfit.
The comfort of fit strongly depends on the ear canal size. If your ears are of average or bigger size, the headphones will sit just perfectly and won’t fall out even on that Mon forenoon yous determine you should start daily runs. If you have rather small ears, take a look at some loftier-density earpads so that the headphones stick out of the ears, only don’t fall out.
The software features
- The Sony Headphones Connect app displays the accuse level of each earpiece and the case separately.
- Monitoring of the headphones use is a beautiful affair: when enabled along with adaptive dissonance reduction, it shows how much you lot apply headphones on the run, sitting, lying down, in the car, underwater and in the bathroom. To be honest, I tin’t brand out a single reason to share my location data with Sony (along with other companies longing to know where I am). Although information technology’southward probably too belatedly to think nigh information technology.
- Checks for the tightness of the earpad fit. God knows how it works, but it seems to work correctly – when the audio insulation is identified as bad, the earpads don’t pass the exam.
- Voice notifications for any occasion in any language available.
- Vocalism assistants back up (who uses information technology anyhow? I don’t).
- DSEE Farthermost engineering support, ‘which uses the Edge-AI artificial intelligence function, improves the sound of compressed music files in real time’. I couldn’t tell whatsoever divergence with this i enabled, though, just well, so exist it.
- New firmware and updates for the mobile app are released about every 2 weeks.
Racket reduction and acoustic transparency mode
- Agile dissonance reduction doesn’t take a dissonance reduction degree setting, it’due south either ON or OFF. It’s possible to separately enable current of air noise reduction for the mic. As always in Sony products, noises up to 400-500 Hz are cut off efficiently – any noises above that range are only subject to passive isolation.
- The audio-visual transparency style has 20 degrees of tuning plus the ability to highlight the voice. You can as well set the mode to proceed automatically each time you say annihilation. You lot won’t believe it, but it works! Similar, really! So, depending on the settings, the mode can turn off by itself subsequently 5-30 seconds, or you tin can plough information technology off yourself. Or it won’t plow off at all if y’all keep talking.
- There are 5 bands + bass tuning.
- 8 default presets + 3 custom presets.
- The equalizer options are stored in the headphones themselves.
The headphones themselves
- The Bluetooth version used is 5.2, the communication is delightfully stable, even in an environment saturated with other radio signals.
- Can’t entirely immerse in your favorite music? Use only 1 earpiece, because y’all can. The other one can wait for its happy 60 minutes in the case.
- The sensors for detecting the headphones in the ears work perfectly.
- Due to the brushed finish texture, it’southward easy to accept the headphones from the case (the Falcon Pro are smooth equally hell, simply another reason to hate them).
- IPX4 protection.
- Despite the utilise of a directional microphone and a separate bone conduction sensor, the voice quality is bluntly shitty (as with all TWS, no surprises here). But if you compare it with the Noble Falcon Pro, information technology’s just divine. Oh well, y’all didn’t recollect it’south somewhere near all those fancy gaming headsets with boom mics, right?
- Wireless charging – check.
- Fast charging back up (USB Type-C) – cheque.
- Magnets to securely hold the headphones in place – check.
- Cable (USB-A to C) – provided.
- Multipoint connectivity.
- Regular silicone earpads in the bundle.
- Affordable cost?..
These are from a rare headphone breed sporting the ‘Audiophiles should not endure!’ motto and having both normal and, almost importantly, customizable audio, and all thinkable and unthinkable software features. Non all of those features may be totally useful, simply they work – I’ve been using the headphones for two weeks at present, and non a single glitch or sound intermission or whatever bad happened between them and me. I recollect it’s love.
I strongly recommend getting yourself into a physical shop and try these before ordering. If information technology fits okay, and the cost seems okay, too, grab the Sony WF-1000xm4 and be happy.