Find and ameliorate your location’s accurateness
Google Maps may accept trouble finding your location. If the GPS location of your blue dot on the map is inaccurate or missing, you can have steps to help fix the problem.
These steps will also improve your search results and make them more relevant to you.
Detect your current location on the map
How Maps finds your current location
Maps estimates where you are from sources such as:
Maps uses satellites to know your location up to around 20 metres.When you’re within buildings or surreptitious, the GPS is sometimes inaccurate.
The location of nearby Wi-Fi networks helps Maps know where you are.
Your connectedness to mobile data tin exist accurate up to a few thousand metres.
Plough on location services
To help Google Maps find your location with the most accurate blue dot, turn on location services.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open up the Settings app.
- Make certain that
is turned on.
- Curlicue and select
While using the app
Location History works best when Location Services is set to
More ways to better location accurateness
Turn on Wi-Fi
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
- At the superlative, turn on
Restart your telephone or tablet
To restart your iPhone or iPad, plough it off and on.
Plow your device off:
Agree downward the power button
Turn your device on:
Concur downwardly the power push until your telephone turns on.
Calibrating Live View
Orient yourself with Live View
Quickly orient yourself to your surroundings and nearby landmarks in Live View. Yous can also detect how far away sure landmarks are from you lot and how to get there. These landmarks tin can include iconic places, like the Empire Country Building in New York City, or easily recognisable places, like local parks and tourist attractions.
There are 2 means to orient yourself in Alive View with the utilize of landmarks:
Once you’re in Live View:
- Follow the on-screen instructions to aid Maps find your location.
Tip: Point your phone camera at buildings and signs across the street, instead of trees and people.
- In one case Maps knows where you are, you’ll get the altitude to your destination. You tin can also enter Live View walking navigation.
Your place’s data carte might let you know if your destination
on a higher floor in a building.
Meliorate accurateness of your location with Live View
What the blue dot means
The blue dot shows your location on the map. When Google Maps isn’t sure near your location, at that place volition be a light blue circumvolve around the blueish dot. You might exist anywhere within the light blue circumvolve. The smaller the circle, the more than certain the app is near your location.
- If the blueish dot isn’t visible or is grey, Maps can’t observe your current location and shows y’all the last location yous visited.
- If in that location’s something betwixt yous and any mobile towers, such as a multi-storey automobile park or tall buildings, then your blue dot might not be authentic.
Detect your location on other sites & apps
To discover your location in Google Maps on other sites and apps, follow the steps above. Nonetheless, some features will be different:
- Yous’ll use a dissimilar site or app, not Google Maps.
- You must beginning give location permission to the site or app used, not Google Maps.
- If yous open up Google Chrome or Safari, you’ll but find your location on secure web pages. Yous’ll observe ‘https’ in the accost bar.
Was this helpful?
How tin can nosotros better it?