Several users accept said that they are unable to change the Desktop preferences on the Mac considering the Desktop tab of Desktop & Screen Saver Arrangement Preferences is bare and nix is displayed. Likewise, some users have reported that although the folio is non fully blank, some of the settings are grayed out and inaccessible.
Come across also: Desktop Icons are Missing or Disappeared on Mac
You can access this Desktop settings pane by going to Arrangement Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Desktop. If this pick screen is blank, no settings options will show. You will not exist able to change the picture or color shown on your desktop. A list of pictures, folders, or colors will non be displayed. Y’all will not exist able to add or remove images. Furthermore, setting light or dark appearances in Organisation Preferences will not be possible. And lastly, if some settings are grayed out, you volition not exist able to modify them.
If y’all are having this trouble too, delight endeavor the steps beneath in social club. After trying each footstep below, open up System Preferences again to see if the options appear.
Run across also: System Preferences Is Busy And Can’t Be Airtight
Please ensure that your Mac has the latest version of the macOS software. You tin can update your Mac by going to System Preferences > Software Update. Expect a few seconds and your Mac volition bank check for updates. If there is an update bachelor, click “Update Now” to install it.
two. Use Safe Way
Restart your Mac in Condom Style and exam to see if you experience the aforementioned problem. Then exit Condom Style and then test your problem again. How you enter in Safe Style differs depending on the Mac you have:
Intel based Mac:
If your Mac has a Intel processor follow the steps below:
- Plough off your Mac and look for it to completely power off.
- Turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold the Shift fundamental.
- Release the Shift key when the login screen appears.
- Log in to your Mac (yous may be asked to log in multiple times).
If your Mac has an Apple Silicon, follow the steps below:
- Turn off your Mac. Expect a few seconds and then that your Mac shuts off completely.
- Printing and concur the ability button until the startup options screen appears.
- Select your startup deejay (e.g., Macintosh HD) and press and agree the Shift key.
- Click Keep in Safe Mode (at present y’all may release the Shift cardinal).
- Now log in to your Mac.
Note: If y’all practise not know your Mac’s processor, you can find out this by going to the Apple tree menu > About This Mac > Overview and check the Chip or Processor line, it will say Intel or Apple.
See as well: How To Open & Use Organization Information On Mac
In Prophylactic Mode, test to run into if you have fixed your trouble so go out Safe Style and over again test. To exit Safe Style, merely restart your Mac normally.
3. Reset NVRAM or PRAM
You can reset NVRAM or PRAM if you take an Intel-based Mac. Here is how:
- Turn off your Mac.
- Locate these four keys: Option, Command, P, and R.
- Plow on your Mac and press and hold these keys for about 20 seconds.
- And so release the keys.
Exam your issue again.
Encounter also: How To Organize Your Mac Desktop
4. System-wide or user-specific issue
If yous are still having this problem withal, let’s try to detect out if it’s a organization wide or user specific problem. This will let us know if this is related to the files or settings in your account. Here is how:
- Apple tree bill of fare > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
- If the section is locked, click the lock icon to unlock it (you volition demand to enter an ambassador name and password).
- Click the Add (+) button below the list of users.
- Create a new admin account.
- Log out of your account and so log in with the new account.
Now endeavor to reproduce this problem in the new account by going to Arrangement Preferences.
You tin delete this new user later if you want.
five. Preference files
Yous may be having this problem considering of corrupted preference files. Here is what yous tin can do:
- Quit System Preferences if information technology is open up.
- Go to Finder.
- Press and hold the Option key and while you press the fundamental, click Go and Library.
- Click the Preferences folder.
- Notice the
- Drag it to your desktop.
- Restart your Mac.
And test your problem, if your issue is not stock-still, put dorsum the plist file.
- How to Reset SMC (Organization Management Controller) on your Mac
- How To Disable and Enable System Integrity Protection On Mac