External disk drives are easy to utilize. You can plug and remove them in seconds, only the PS4 may not recognize the unit in some cases.
Typically, the panel displays the post-obit message when the trouble occurs:
The USB storage device is not connected.
In some cases, though, the PS4 wont display any message, or it could end responding when you connect the HDD.
PS4 Extended Storage Not Working Causes
The PS4 has a limited internal difficult drive, and so most users adopt an external HDD.
Unfortunately, the storage works sometimes, although it can work on other devices like your PC.
Herere the common causes why this happens:
- Your external difficult drive is not compatible with your PlayStation 4
- Theres another drive connected to the console
- The drive has faulty cables or ports
- The drive is corrupted
- The game information is corrupted
- Your drive is suffering from overheating
- Your drive has hardware harm
- The PS4 is functioning poorly
- The PS4 arrangement data is corrupted
Every bit you lot see, these issues deal mostly with the drive, rather than the PlayStation 4. Therefore, our solutions aim mostly at the drive. Still, some of our fixes include using the consoles Safe Style.
How to Fix PS4 Extended Storage Not Working
You can try our solutions ane by one until you lot discover the one that solves the upshot. Yet, were proceeding in a logical manner, as were starting past the about probable causes.
See if your Drive is Functional
The initial footstep is checking if your bulldoze is functional. To do that, plug the external HDD into your Windows PC and come across what it says. If information technology works, it should just announced on your taskbar like and then:
If it doesnt piece of work, youd see something similar this:
If this is the case, theres aught else to exercise but attempt another cablevision, or effort another drive.
Bank check the Drive’s Compatibility
The next logical step is checking the compatibility between your external drive and the PlayStation 4. Its the step yous should take if its the start fourth dimension youre using the drive on the panel. Otherwise, skip to the adjacent fix.
This is the message the PlayStation iv showcases if the drive doesnt see the requirements:
And these are the requirements you need.
|External Bulldoze Property||Requirement for PS4|
|PS4 system software||four.l or newer|
|Type of USB interface||USB 3.0 or newer|
|Storage chapters||250GB minimum, 8TB maximum|
|Encryption||No encryption on storage|
|Number of partitions||1|
Your drive could take the incorrect format, and not e’er tin the PlayStation format the storage.
Therefore, you should check the format on the PC like so:
- Plug your drive on your Windows PC
- Go to
- Right-click the drive
- On the
General tab, check the
Then, to check the type of USB connection, you tin can verify the concrete characteristics of the port:
Format Your External Drive
If your drive meets the criteria merely non the format, its time to gear up it. Before that, though, exist sure to save its data elsewhere, as the process erases everything.
Once again, it would exist all-time if y’all had your Windows PC for this. MacOS users can find actress info on the FAQ.
- Plug your drive into the PC
- Go to
- Right-click the drive
exFAT or FAT32
Start, and await for the process to finish
At present, y’all can attempt the bulldoze on the PS4 once more.
Check the Bulldoze With Windows
If the drive was never the problem, or if information technology still doesnt work after formatting, its mayhap corrupted.
Heres what you can do to help articulate its bug:
- Plug the drive on your Windows PC
- Go to This PC
- Right-click the bulldoze
- Go to theTools tab
- SelectCheckonError Checking
Afterwards the process ends, Windows will let you know if it institute and corrected errors on the disk. If this is the case, you may attempt the drive on the PS4 once more. Otherwise, keep reading.
Update the PlayStation four
Mayhap your drive was working earlier, but now its not functioning properly. If you lot have already formatted and checked the bulldoze, you tin can try fixing a couple of stuff in the console.
First, updating the PlayStation may fix the consequence.
Heres how to do it:
- Go toSettings
- Go to
Select Software Update
- Select Update Now
- If theres an update available, selectSide by side. Information technology will download the update.
after the download finishes
- Await until the update installs
Yous should try testing the drive once more. Alternatively, you can go straight to our next gear up.
Power Cycle the Panel
Ability cycling the console is a hard reset that drains all ability and erases random power bugs.
Heres how to do it:
- Turn off the panel
- Unplug all of its cables for 30 seconds
- While the console has no cables,press and holdthe power button for ten seconds
- Plug its cables dorsum in,
including the hard drive
- Turn the console back on again
Were forcing the connexion between the PS4 and the external hard drive this way. Try to see if this works, and if it doesnt, continue for the next solution.
Rebuild the PS4 Database
Our side by side solution is rebuilding the PS4s database via its Safe Mode. It will assist articulate corruption in your data.
For the following process,ensure the external hard drive is non connected.
- Power bicycle the console
- With the console off, press and hold the power button for nearly seven seconds, subsequently yous hear a second beep
- Connect your PS4 controller via USB cable, and press the
- Youre at present in Condom Way. SelectRebuild Database
- After the process finishes, selectInitialize PS4
- Plug the external HDD
Luckily, youve cleared the data corruption by at present. Otherwise, I fearfulness the concluding selection is reinstalling the PS4s software, AKA a factory reset.
Reinstall PS4 System Software
Lastly, y’all can try taking your panel back to its factory settings. The process volition wipe your hard drive and remove its software.
Nosotros advise you to backup its data elsewhere, if possible. If yous cant use an external device, y’all can too back upward the data in the cloud (it requires a PlayStation Plus account).
Either fashion, if theres another storage you lot can apply, check the FAQ for info on how to backup your data.
- Power cycle the panel
- Plug the cables back
- Printing and agree the ability button for almost seven seconds until you hear a 2nd beep
- Connect your DualShock controller via USB, and press the PS push button
Safe Mode, select
Initialize PS4 (Reinstall Arrangement Software)
- The PS4 will download and install the organisation software. It may accept a while.
The installation process requires an internet connectedness. Only if your PS4 wont or cant connect to the net, theres another solution.
Either way, try connecting the external drive again after the process finishes.
Reinstall PS4 Arrangement Software With a USB Drive
Theres an alternative method to reinstall the PlayStations organization software if the console doesnt have an internet connection.
The alternative requires an empty USB or HDD drive with 5GB of space minimum.
- Plug the USB drive on your PC
- Format the drive to FAT32 or exFAT
- Create a folder within the drive with the proper noun
- Create a subfolder inside PS4 with the proper name
(dont apply the quotation marks on either name).
- Visit the PS4 System Software update site. Become towards the Reinstall system software section, and download the file.
- Relieve thePS4UPDATE.PUPwithin theUPDATEfolder
- Plug the USB drive on the PS4 console
- Outset the console in Safe Mode (plough it off, and and so printing and concord the power button until you hear a second beep)
- SelectInitialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)
- Select Update from USB Storage, and theOK
After the process finishes, please attemptpower cycling the consoleand plugging your external HDD bulldoze while the console is off.
How to Format an External Storage on macOS?
If youre a macOS user, herere the steps:
- Connect the drive to your Mac PC
- Open the
- Select the bulldoze on the app
- Click on
at the elevation
- Add a name to the disk, and select
Erase to terminate
How to Cheque External Drive Format on macOS?
Similarly, herere the steps to check a drives format
- Plug the bulldoze on your PC
- Open theDeejay Utility app
- Select the drive on the left column
- Check on Format under its name
How to Fill-in Your PS4 Information on an External Bulldoze?
Heres the data y’all can backup:
- Saved data
- Video clips
Y’all would lose all of the above after a manufactory reset. Therere two ways to back information technology upwards:
- Plug a
FAT32 or exFAT USB
drive or external HDD into the PS4
- Go to
- Go to
Back Up and Restore
- Confirm the data youd like to salvage
How to Restore PS4 Data?
Given that you saved the PS4 data on an external USB, heres how to restore it:
- Plug the USB drive with the backup information on the PS4
- Go toSettings
- Go to System
- SelectBack Up and Restore
- Select Restore PS4
- Select the fill-in files
What Can Yous Do on External Storage With the PS4?
Heres the number of things the PS4 supports on an external HDD storage: