Is it really possible to exist depressed and not know it? After all, depression is a serious clinical diagnosis. In reality, it can be difficult to recognize signs of depression over mutual experiences like sadness or grief.
Depression can appear all of a sudden or gradually. It tin be related to a situation (as with adjustment disorders) or at that place may be no “reason” at all. You may exist aware that y’all feel bad or non like your usual cocky, but you may not exist aware that what y’all are feeling is clinically significant depression.
Why You May Not Know Y’all’re Depressed
There are several possible explanations for being depressed and not knowing it. Depression might non be on your radar, either due to deprival or stigma, or you lot may dismiss your symptoms because you’ve been experiencing them for and so long. Yous may even be mistaking the symptoms of depression for something else.
The following are some reasons why you may not realize that you are depressed:
Y’all’ve been depressed for a while.
If you have been depressed for a long fourth dimension, it but feels normal to you. This may exist particularly true for those who take been depressed since early childhood.
Yous don’t feel sad.
Because you may not be feeling particularly sad, you lot may think information technology can’t perhaps be depression. In reality, depression can take more than forms than simply a feeling of profound sadness. You may feel tired, depression in energy, or lack in whatever real sense of joy without necessarily feeling sadness or being weepy.
Your symptoms accept developed slowly.
Depression tin develop gradually over an extended flow of fourth dimension. When the changes in mood are subtle and come up on slowly, you may not recognize that things aren’t the aforementioned as they used to exist.
- Y’all feel down about yourself. If you are feeling like you are somehow bad or defective, information technology’s like shooting fish in a barrel to dismiss what you are feeling every bit somehow being an innate part of yourself that tin’t be fixed. You may feel that rather than struggling with a treatable illness, you are irreparably broken and unworthy of feeling amend.
You have internalized attitudes nearly mental wellness.
Cultural differences tin can as well make information technology more difficult to recognize and acknowledge depression. If those around you care for low as something that must be borne without complaint, then you may feel as if asking for aid is a sign of weakness.
Some Mutual Causes of Depression
So how practise yous know if you lot are depressed? If you’ve been experiencing several of the post-obit symptoms for at least two weeks so it is possible that you lot could be experiencing depression:
- Anger and irritability
- Anxiety and agitation
- Changes in appetite or weight (can be either a lack of appetite accompanied past weight loss or increased appetite with weight gain)
- Fatigue or lack of free energy
- Feelings of sadness or emptiness
- Feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, or excessive guilt
- Loss of interest in activities usually enjoyed
- Mysterious aches and pains with no discernible cause
- Problems with thinking, memory, concentration, and decision making
- Sleep problems such as insomnia or sleeping too much
- Slowed thought, spoken language, or physical movements
- Thoughts of death and suicide
Go Advice From The Verywell Mind Podcast
Hosted by Editor-in-Primary and therapist Amy Morin, LCSW, this episode of The Verywell Listen Podcast shares how to face uncomfortable emotions, featuring comedian Paul Gilmartin.
Follow Now: Apple Podcasts / Spotify / Google Podcasts
If you suspect that you may have depression—or things simply don’t feel quite correct—it is wise to speak with your doctor about what you are feeling. Your dr. can screen yous for possible causes for your symptoms and get you the proper medical care that you lot demand.
Depression Word Guide
Become our printable guide to help y’all ask the right questions at your next doctor’s appointment.
As part of your doctor’due south visit, you may have sure blood tests done to rule out other causes of your depression symptoms. Certain atmospheric condition such as hypothyroidism can create symptoms that mimic low.
At that place are a number of dissimilar handling options bachelor for depression. Your specific treatment plan will depend on your diagnosis and the severity of your symptoms.
Once other conditions have been ruled out and a depression diagnosis has been confirmed, your medico may prescribe an antidepressant medication. In that location are several different types of antidepressants that tin can be effective for treating depression, including the post-obit (in order of how usually they are prescribed):
- Selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Atypical antidepressants
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
SSRIs are past far the most commonly prescribed, although SNRIs and atypical antidepressants are also often used. MOAIs and TCAs are less commonly used due to their side furnishings, but may still be used in some instances.
Your doctor may too refer you to a psychiatrist, psychotherapist, or another qualified mental health professional who specializes in treating mental health conditions.
Talk therapy or a technique known equally cognitive behavioral therapy can be helpful in the treatment of depression.
- Individual therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), tin provide a prophylactic and supportive environment for you to explore what’s behind your depression and how to piece of work through your sadness.
can assist y’all see that others are going through the same matter and help you lot feel less lone since it’s normal to feel isolated or different when you lot’re depressed.
Another option is to try online help for depression, which might include online depression therapy, self-guided programs, or support groups.
Whichever management you take, think that there is no stigma in getting help for depression. It is a serious
treatable condition—and one you don’t have to manage lonely.
Verywell Mind uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to back up the facts inside our manufactures. Read our editorial process to larn more nearly how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
Thanks for your feedback!