The easiest style to utilize Audacity is to import an existing audio file and make minor changes. If yous take never used Brazenness before, this is a groovy place to start.
|If you take just made a recording it is strongly recommended that yous immediately export your audio using
(ideally to an external bulldoze) equally a safety copy earlier yous start editing the projection.
The objective of this tutorial is to acquire how to edit an audio file. To accomplish this objective, we are going to import an existing sound file, remove all simply 10 seconds of this file, apply a i-second fade-out at the end, consign the results, and play it in your favorite audio actor. These steps will introduce the bones steps commonly used when editing the contents of an audio file.
Step 1: Find a file to edit
Audacity tin can import many common sound file formats, including
. If the optional FFmpeg library is installed, a larger range of formats, including
and the audio content of most video files, can exist imported. Audacity cannot import re-create-protected music files.
If yous desire to edit music that you have on an
, you demand to “rip” the music into an audio file. Run across the Audio CDs page for information on getting the sound off of CDs and into Audacity.
No audio files handy? At that place is lots of free music online.
Step 2: Import the file into Brazenness
First launch Brazenness, so import an audio file by selecting .
A quicker method is to just elevate and driblet the file as in the following examples:
Windows: Drag the audio file icon
into the open Brazenness window.
Mac: Drag the audio file icon
to the Audacity icon in the Dock
(does not piece of work for all formats even so).
Linux: Elevate the audio file icon
into the open up Audacity window.
All three platforms support:
- dragging the audio file into the Audacity window
- dragging the audio file to the Brazenness icon on the Desktop.
Specific dragging behavior co-ordinate to platform:
- On Windows and Mac you can also elevate to Brazenness’south icon in a file managing director application.
- On Mac and Linux you tin drag the file to the Audacity icon in the Dock or Taskbar respectively to import the file into Brazenness.
- On Windows, dragging the file to the Audacity icon in the Taskbar volition either switch the window to Brazenness if it is running (from where you can drag the file in), or if Audacity is closed, give the option to launch Brazenness with the file imported.
Control-line file importing:
On all three platforms you tin can also import files by launching Audacity at the control-line and passing the files you wish to import as arguments. For instance, on Linux Ubuntu:
[electronic mail protected]:~$ audacity Desktop/song.mp3 Desktop/spoken communication.wav
imports the “song.mp3” and “oral communication.wav” files located on the Desktop in separate Audacity windows.
Step 3: Await at the waveform
This image above shows a stereo waveform. The left channel is displayed in the top half of the rails and the right channel in the lesser one-half. The track name takes the proper name of the imported audio file (“No Boondocks” in this example). Where the
reaches closer to the top and bottom of the track, the sound is louder (and vice versa).
The ruler above the waveform shows yous the length of the audio in minutes and seconds.
Removing whatsoever DC offset (if present)
DC get-go tin occur in sound files so that the recorded waveform is not centered on the horizontal line at 0.0
. It tin can be caused by recording with a faulty sound interface. The example higher up is centered on 0 correctly and carries no DC kickoff. If your waveform is not centered, run into the Normalize page for how to utilize Normalize to remove DC offset and how to cheque if your Windows sound device can perform this correction automatically.
Step iv: Listen to the imported audio
The epitome above shows Send Toolbar.
to listen to the sound. Click the
to terminate playback. If you lot do not hear anything, see Audacity Setup and Configuration.
Yous can use the
key on the keyboard equally a shortcut for Play or Cease.
Click on Option Tool
then click on the waveform to choose a identify to start, then click the
. Click and drag to create a selection, and then when you click
just the pick will play.
You can select audio entirely using the left arrow, right arrow and other keys.
to movement the cursor left or right respectively in the waveform.
to create then extend a choice leftwards or rightwards respectively.
to contract an existing option leftwards or rightwards respectively.
Skip to Start
or pressing the
primal will move the cursor to the beginning of the track. Information technology is like rewind, merely it is not for playback – information technology will but work when playback is stopped.
Similarly, clicking the
Skip to Stop
or pressing the
cardinal volition move the cursor to the cease of the rails.
To bound the playback position frontward or backwards from where it is now, click on the Timeline above the waveform at the point you wish to hear.
You can use the following keys to skip effectually the audio file while listening.
to movement the playback cursor back ane 2nd.
to move the playback cursor forward ane 2nd.
Shift + Left
Shift + ,
to motility the playback cursor back 15 seconds.
Shift + Correct
Shift + .
to motion the playback cursor forward 15 seconds.
The amount the cursor moves in this situation is chosen the “seek time”. The
seek times (one second and 15 seconds in the examples to a higher place) can be ready in the
Seek Fourth dimension When Playing
department of Playback Preferences.
Step 5: Create a 10-2nd clip from your audio
You edit audio waveforms in Audacity in much the same way as you would edit text in a give-and-take-processing certificate. When you are editing text you starting time select the text you want to modify so choose what you want to do with it. You might want to cutting or copy the text, delete it, paste new text in its place, or modify information technology to bold. You exercise the same matter in Audacity: offset zoom and select the range of audio you lot desire to change, so choose what you lot desire to practise with it.
The image above shows Edit Toolbar with the
tool, and this
To zoom in to get a closer expect at the waveform, first cull the
, and so click nearly the signal you are interested in, then click the
button. Go on clicking the
push button until you come across the detail you need. Note that when you click the
push button the cursor is centered on the screen.
There are likewise carte du jour commands and keyboard shortcuts for zooming. (or
Ctrl + 1) is the aforementioned as clicking the
Ctrl + three) is the same as clicking the
Ctrl + F) will zoom the waveform and so it fits in the window.
Utilise the Zoom commands so that you can make maximal utilize of your Brazenness window to see as much detail as yous need, or to make certain yous see the entire file when necessary.
Walk through deleting all but approximately x seconds of selected audio
To cut this audio file downwards to exactly 10 seconds, use these following steps.
|These steps require a mouse, except for using
on the keyboard to play the selection and
to play either side of the pick. See below for how to create and suit selections using the keyboard.
- With playback stopped, click virtually the signal where y’all want the 10-second piece to begin.
- Zoom in until the Timeline shows 10 seconds or more than before and after the cursor.
While belongings down the
central, click 10 seconds to the correct of the cursor.
- Notation that this is just like selecting a range of text in a word processor
to listen to the entire pick. Playback will stop when the cease of the selection is reached.
Conform the start and end of the pick with the mouse equally follows.
- five.i. Move the pointer over the start of the selection – the cursor will change to a left-pointing hand.
- five.2. Click and drag to adjust the beginning of the selection.
- 5.3. You lot can adapt the stop of the selection in a similar manner.
to mind to the adjusted option. You do non have to listen to all of it; press
again at any fourth dimension to stop playback.
A convenient mode to listen to only the adjusted start of the selection is to move the mouse arrow a lilliputian later the showtime of the selection then press
B. The choice plays from the start of the selection to the pointer. To hear the adapted end of the choice, move the pointer shut to the pick finish, then press
to play from the pointer to the selection end.
You can likewise play a length of audio
of the pick by pressing
C. This lets you make sure there is no sound yous want to go along that will exist removed. Playing either side of the selection would also be useful if you later wanted to cut a modest slice out of that selection – you would select the modest piece to be cut, then could preview how the audio would audio afterwards the cut. To adjust the length of audio played before and after the selection, go to
in the Playback Preferences.
- A convenient mode to listen to only the adjusted start of the selection is to move the mouse arrow a lilliputian later the showtime of the selection then press
Use the arrow keys to adjust the selection outset and end.
Shift + Left
will expand the pick to the left.
Shift + Right
will expand the pick to the right.
Shift + Ctrl + Left
volition contract the selection from the correct.
Shift + Ctrl + Right
will contract the selection from the left.
Use Selection Toolbar to create or adjust a selection.
Without a mouse, use
Ctrl + F6
to navigate into Selection Toolbar, then
between the controls.
- In “Selection Start”, type the starting indicate of your selection if at that place is not still a selection.
radio push button above the second grouping of numbers in Selection Toolbar if information technology is not yet selected.
If there is no selection yet, select the digit after the “k” in the “Length” box and type
(i) on your keyboard. This selects exactly x.000 seconds from the starting bespeak you chose.
Once in that location is a option, y’all tin can accommodate its length in the same way. Allow’s suppose you dragged a niggling less than ten seconds in the waveform, merely y’all demand the selection to be exactly 10 seconds.
- Select the first digit to the right of the decimal point in the “Length” box.
(nothing) – the digit changes to zero, the digit to the right is selected and the selection in the waveform changes to match.
(zero) twice more than – the option length is now 10.000 seconds, authentic to one thousandth of a 2nd.
You take now selected the portion of the audio that you desire to go on. Brand certain you have pressed
to stop if the track is nonetheless playing, then to delete everything
the selected audio, click on .
If you brand a mistake, you can always click on . Audacity has unlimited Disengage and Redo. You can undo your editing deportment all the manner back to when you imported the file. You can besides Redo actions that you have undone.
You at present take a region of sound that starts several seconds (or maybe minutes) from the start of the rails. You could move the sound to the beginning of the track, using , just this is not a necessary step because when exporting, Audacity volition ignore the
between time naught and the start of the sound.
Step six: Fade out the last second
- Click the
Skip to End
- Zoom In until y’all tin can come across the last 2 or iii seconds of the waveform.
- Click in the waveform almost one second before the end.
- Click on .
- Click on . The terminal second of the audio is smoothly faded out.
Note that we always select some sound offset, so choose what action nosotros want to perform on it.
Footstep 7: Export the resulting file
When y’all save an Audacity projection with you are doing simply that – saving an Audacity project. Audacity projects tin exist opened only by Audacity. If you lot want other applications (such as Apple Music/iTunes or Windows Media Histrion) to be able to open up this file you demand to
Before we export this x second clip to a separate file nosotros are going to simplify things a bit. Go to the Import / Export Preferences, and under
When exporting tracks to an audio file
uncheck “Show Metadata Editor prior to export stride“. Metadata Editor adds extra information about the speech or music into the file – see For More Information below to learn more. You can go back to the Import / Export Preferences at whatever time to re-enable Metadata Editor.
Exporting a WAV file
- Click on – the standard “Save” dialog for your operating organisation appears.
- Requite the file a dissimilar name. Audacity ever suggests a name for the file that is the same as the name of your Audacity projection. Information technology is always all-time to alter this so you lot exercise not misfile your exported file with your Brazenness project.
- Choose a location to save the file in the usual style.
- At the bottom of the Save dialog is a dropdown menu labeled “Format“. From this menu cull “WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-chip PCM”.
- There are no options for the WAV file format, so there is no demand to click the
- Click the
button to consummate the consign of your project to a WAV file.
Exporting an MP3 file
The steps for exporting a file in MP3 format are the same every bit for a WAV file,
- In the Save dialog, from the “Format” menu, cull “MP3 files”
- Then click the
button to set the
bit charge per unit
and other options for the MP3 file.
Pace 8 – Testing your new Audio Product
To demonstrate the difference betwixt an
(the AUP) file, and a sound file you lot
an Audacity project:
- Click on , saving changes if asked.
- Detect the AUP file on your computer and attempt to open it with the audio thespian of your choice (for example iTunes, Windows Media Histrion). Y’all cannot.
- Notice the exported WAV file on your reckoner and attempt to open up it with the audio player of your choice. Success!
You cannot open an Audacity project in a media player. Merely by exporting your project can you listen to information technology in a media role player.
Once y’all have exported your project you may desire to continue the original project file (AUP3) around in case you want to brand some changes to it in the future.
Where to become from here
- Tutorial – Your Get-go Recording
- Tutorial – Mixing a Narration With Background Music
For more than information
- Opening or Importing Audio Files: File Menu > Open, File Menu > Import
- Tracks and Waveforms: Audio Tracks, Audacity Tracks and Clips, Audacity Waveform
- Playing a file: Playing and Recording
- Editing a track: Edit Bill of fare, Zooming
- Effects: Effect Carte du jour
- Saving: Audacity Projects
- Exporting: File Card > Consign…
- Metadata Editor: Metadata Editor
- MP3 Consign Options: MP3 Export Options