Practise y’all want to root your Galaxy S9/S9 Plus flagship? Well, you lot just landed in the right place for the job. This tutorial volition assistance you lot install TWRP recovery and root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus. This is compatible and will work on whatever Exynos Galaxy S9/S9+ running Android 10 (One UI 2.0), Android Pie (One UI i.1/1.0), and Android Oreo.
Samsung is counted among one of the top manufacturers and is well known for its Milky way flagship phones. In 2018, the visitor did another infrequent job with the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus by adapting the most recent trends in the smartphone marketplace. The phones were launched in March 2018 and certainly turned out to be the all-time Galaxy flagships to appointment. Following a very similar blueprint to the predecessor, the hardware and software are where the said phones excel.
Despite all the latest features, users might frequently want to farther customize the software beyond what the manufacturer has to offer. And if you feel the same, and then rooting your Galaxy S9 or S9+ volition provide yous with a plethora of options/means to customize the software of your phone.
Flashing custom binaries such as TWRP and rooting the Milky way S9/S9+ will trip the KNOX counter. Apps that rely on KNOX, such as Samsung Laissez passer, Secure Folder, etc will no longer piece of work.
Make sure that you’re comfortable and fully understand the procedure of rooting before you start performing information technology.
Table of Contents
- Supported Variants and Models
- Instructions to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
- Step 1: Enable Programmer Options and OEM Unlock in Settings
- Footstep two: Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
- Step 3: Flash Encryption Disabler and KG/RMM Bypass ZIPs using TWRP
- Step iv: Flash Magisk to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Milky way S9 Plus
Supported Variants and Models
Currently, only the Exynos variant of the Galaxy S9/S9 Plus is supported. Although TWRP recovery for Snapdragon Galaxy S9 and S9+ is available, we take called to continue this postal service specific to the Exynos devices just. Please make sure to cheque the list of supported devices below earlier proceeding with the instructions.
Samsung Galaxy S9
- Compatible: Exynos variants (codename: starlte) with model number SM-G960F/FD/North/X are supported.
- Not Uniform: Snapdragon variants (codename: starqlte) with model number SM-G960U/U1/West/0/ii/8/SC are not supported.
Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus
- Uniform: Exynos variants (codename: star2lte) with model number SM-G965F/FD/Northward/X are supported.
- Non Compatible: Snapdragon variants (codename: star2qlte) with model number SM-G965U/U1/W/0/ii/8/SC are not supported.
- Take a complete fill-in of all your data on the device. Everything including apps, contacts, messages, logs, internal storage, etc will exist wiped during the process. Yous tin also follow our guide on how to backup Android devices for this purpose.
- Charge the Galaxy S9/S9+ to at least threescore% battery level. This will help avoid whatsoever sudden shutdowns during the rooting process.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on the PC.
- Download Odin v3.xiv.4 cypher package and extract the file to an easily accessible location on the PC.
Brand sure to fulfill all the requirements stated higher up earlier you proceed to follow the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus.
Below, y’all volition find all the files you’ll need while performing the instructions.
- TWRP Recovery for Milky way S9 (starlte): twrp-3.4.0-0-starlte.img.tar (Check the latest build hither)
- TWRP Recovery for Milky way S9 Plus (star2lte): twrp-3.four.0-0-star2lte.img.tar (Bank check the latest build hither)
- Samsung Encryption and Disk Quota Disabler: Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_10.28.2020.zip
- RMM Country Bypass zip (But for Android Pie/Oreo, not needed for Android 10): RMM__Bypass_v3_corsicanu.zip (Thanks BlackMesa123 & corsicanu!)
- SuperSU ii.82 SR5 (Discontinued): SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip
- Latest Stable Magisk Installer Aught: Magisk-v21.0.zip and check the latest version hither
Instructions to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
To make it easier for you to understand the rooting process, we have broken downward the instructions into four major steps.
The first stride is to enable ‘OEM Unlocking’ to permit flashing custom binaries. In one case that is done, the second footstep is to install TWRP recovery on your Milky way S9/Galaxy S9 Plus. Then the third footstep is to disable forced-encryption and prevent Prenormal KG/RMM Land (Just on Android Pie and Oreo) by flashing the no-verity zip and RMM Country Bypass nada files respectively. Finally, when all is done, the fourth and the concluding stride is to flash the Magisk Zip using TWRP to root the Galaxy S9/Milky way S9 Plus.
While the process might not exist as simple as that on devices similar Google Pixel, information technology is nonetheless fairly like shooting fish in a barrel. Fifty-fifty if you’re new to the scene, you will easily be able to perform the whole procedure. Just brand sure that you lot follow each and every step as mentioned.
Step i: Enable Developer Options and OEM Unlock in Settings
In order to install TWRP and root, you must commencement enable ‘OEM Unlocking in your Galaxy S9’s Settings menu. To do that, go to
and tap seven times on the ‘Build number’. You shall then run into a toast notification – “Developer manner has been enabled”.
In one case that is done, go dorsum to the Settings principal screen and tap on ‘Programmer options’. Scroll down until you find the ‘OEM Unlocking’ toggle and turn it ON. If the option is not withal visible on your device, it means that your phone has entered a 7-solar day buffer menstruum. After this fourth dimension (Or, yous can attempt bypassing it using the instructions here), the ‘OEM Unlocking’ option shall exist available. If information technology is still non available, information technology means that your phone cannot be rooted.
With the option enabled, you tin now become ahead and install TWRP on your Milky way S9/S9 Plus. The side by side section will take you through the complete process in detail.
Also read: How to Kicking Samsung Galaxy S9 Safety Fashion (Guide)
Step 2: Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Milky way S9 Plus
The 2d step is to flash TWRP on your Galaxy S9/S9+ through the Odin Wink Tool. To practise this:
- First, download TWRP Recovery for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus.
- Double-click the “Odin3 v3.fourteen.4.exe” executable file to launch the Odin wink tool on your PC.
- Power off the telephone completely.
- Hold the Volume Down, Bixby, and Ability push simultaneously.
- On the warning screen, press the Book Upwardly push to enter Download Mode on Galaxy S9/S9 Plus.
- Every bit the Odin window loads, yous shall see “Added!!” in the message box and the ID:COM port should also light up.
- At present make sure that the ‘Auto Reboot’ box is not selected in the ‘Options’ tab of the Odin tool.
- Adjacent, click on the ‘AP’ button under the ‘Files’ section of Odin and select the TWRP recovery (.tar) file for your device.
- Finally, click the ‘Showtime’ button to install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Milky way S9 Plus.
The flashing procedure would have a few seconds to consummate. Once it is finished your phone shall stay in Download Mode.
At present information technology is very of import to kick into TWRP mode directly, if by any chance your telephone boots into the Bone, the Prenormal RMM State volition be set. This will force yous to wait for another seven Twenty-four hours catamenia before you can actually flash anything.
To do this:
- Agree the Book Down, Bixby, and Power button simultaneously until the phone powers off.
As soon as the screen shuts down, release the Volume Downward key and hold the Book Up button while still holding the Bixby and Power buttons.
- Your Galaxy S9/S9+ should kick into TWRP recovery.
- On the ‘Unmodified Organization Partitioning’ screen, slide the ‘Swipe to Allow Modifications’ push button.
With your phone now in TWRP recovery, follow the next step to disable encryption on Samsung Milky way S9 and Milky way S9 Plus.
Pace three: Flash Encryption Disabler and KG/RMM Bypass ZIPs using TWRP
Now, in club for TWRP to successfully decrypt your phone’s storage, you lot must format the data segmentation and wink the Encryption Disabler zip file.
You lot merely need to wink KG/RMM Bypass zip if your telephone is running Android Pie or Oreo. Information technology isn’t uniform with Android x.
- Get to the ‘Wipe’ card in TWRP and tap on ‘Format Data’.
- Enter ‘Yes’ in the provided field to completely format the data partition (including internal storage).
- One time finished, go to the ‘Reboot’ menu in TWRP and press the ‘Recovery’ push to reboot your phone into TWRP. This will ensure that TWRP tin decrypt the storage.
- When the telephone boots back into TWRP, go to the ‘Mount’ menu.
- Now select “Enable MTP” and connect the Milky way S9/S9 Plus to the PC using the USB cablevision.
- Download DM-Verity disabler and KG/RMM Land Featherbed zip (Just for Android Pie/Oreo) files from the ‘Downloads’ section above.
- Transfer the files to the telephone’southward internal storage and and then disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Go to the ‘Install’ menu in TWRP and select the Encryption Disabler zilch file (eastward.g. Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_02.24.2020.cypher).
- Swipe the push button to wink the file and
disable encryption on Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+.
- If your telephone is running Android Pie/Oreo, repeat the installation method and flash the KG/RMM State Featherbed zip to prevent your phone from being locked once more (Prenormal KG/RMM State).
If you run across an error bulletin that states ‘Failed to mountain /odm (No such file or directory)‘, yous can safely
Now, with everything set, follow the instructions in the quaternary and final step below to finally root Samsung Milky way S9/S9 Plus.
Also read: Download Samsung Good Lock 2019 and Install Add-ons
Step 4: Flash Magisk to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
The last and concluding step of the process is to wink the Magisk ZIP file through TWRP and root your your phone.
- Commencement, download the latest Magisk installer Nothing file on the PC.
- Connect your Galaxy S9 to the PC using the USB cablevision.
- Go to the ‘Mount’ menu in TWRP and printing the ‘Enable MTP’ button.
- Transfer the Magisk installer Nothing file (due east.one thousand. Magisk-v21.0.zip) to the phone’s internal storage.
- Now disconnect your Milky way S9/S9 Plus and get back to the TWRP chief screen.
- Press the ‘Install’ button and select the Magisk installer Nothing file from the phone’s internal storage.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to flash the file and root your Samsung Milky way S9/S9+.
When the flashing procedure finishes, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button to kick your phone into the rooted Bone. Note that the first boot may accept a few minutes, so in that location’due south nothing to worry nigh.
Once your S9/S9+ boots, it should be rooted with Magisk. To verify the same, go to the app drawer and launch the Magisk Managing director application.
You can go ahead and start using your favorite root apps. With Magisk you can too hide root from sure apps like Pokemon Go, Google Pay, etc that may normally stop working if the root is detected. It as well gives yous the ability to install modules for injecting additional features and customizing the OS. The things you can on a rooted phone are way more what we can list here.
So, this was our tutorial on how to install TWRP and root Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus running Android x, Android Pie, or Android Oreo. If you have whatever questions regarding the instructions or the rooting procedure on the whole, please feel free to ask us.