Learn about Eco Temperatures and how to change settings
Your Google Nest thermostat can automatically switch to Eco Temperatures after it senses that nobody’s dwelling house. You’ll know Eco Temperatures are active when y’all see Eco on your thermostat and in the Nest or Google Home app. You can also ready Eco Temperatures when you are at dwelling house to assist save energy.
How Eco Temperatures work
- Your Nest thermostat canautomatically switch to Eco Temperatures after information technology senses that nobody’due south home. You’ll know Eco Temperatures are active when your thermostat says “Eco” on the display or in the Nest or Home app.
- Y’all can alsomanually set your thermostat to Eco Temperatures anytime, even when you’re habitation. This can be useful if yous want to try to save more energy while y’all’re at domicile, and yous don’t listen information technology existence a bit cooler or warmer than usual.
- When you lot manually set your Nest Learning Thermostat or Nest Thermostat Due east to Eco Temperatures, it will stay in that way and won’t automatically switch dorsum to heating or cooling until you manually switch information technology to one of those modes. Once you lot manually switch it to heating or cooling, your thermostat will resume automatically switching equally people leave and come up back home.
works differently. It volition ever switch out of Eco Temperatures at the next scheduled temperature modify. Simply yous can manually set your thermostat to
concord the Eco Temperatures
for up to 24 hours.
- Your thermostat can as well automatically switch to Eco Temperatures if you manually switch your dwelling house toAway style with the Nest or Home app.
How Eco Temperatures affect your system behavior
When your thermostat is set up to Eco, your system may withal turn on in some cases:
- If your home’s temperature gets higher than the “Cool to” temperature you’ve set, your thermostat will plow on cooling until your home cools to the Eco Temperature you ready.
- If your home’southward temperature gets lower than the “Heat to“ temperature you’ve prepare, your thermostat will plow on heating until your home warms to the Eco Temperature you set.
How to select Eco Temperatures that are right for your home
Your Nest thermostat gives you a temperature range that you can select from when you ready an Eco Temperature. The Eco Temperature ranges you can choose from are big: 40-seventy °F (4-21 °C) for heating mode and 76-90 °F (24-32 °C) for cooling mode.
Factors like your dwelling’s construction, local climates, heating and cooling system performance, and your personal condolement preference tin vary widely. And then nosotros don’t make specific Eco Temperature recommendations, just y’all’ll find some general guidelines below to help you choose what’s right for your home.
- When yous’re choosing an Eco Temperature setting, the Nest Leafage
will announced to permit you lot know y’all’ve selected a temperature that can help save free energy. The Leaf is just a full general guide, and so you may relieve energy even if you choose an Eco Temperature that doesn’t have a Leafage.
- If you cull “Off” for either the “Heat to” or “Absurd to” temperature, your system won’t turn on at all when your thermostat is set to Eco until your home reaches the Safety Temperature.
- Try to prepare Eco Temperatures to a level that helps salve energy, while making sure that people, pets and plants in your dwelling house volition be comfortable, and your pipes won’t freeze.
- You tin ever change the setting if you’re uncomfortable or if you’re not saving as much energy equally you like.
More help for choosing a temperature
These questions can help you figure out a practiced Eco Temperature to start with:
What temperature did yous set your old thermostat to?
If y’all want to emphasize your comfort over energy savings, try aHeat to Eco Temperature a few degrees lower, or aCool to temperature a few degrees college than what y’all typically left your old thermostat set to most of the time.
If you ever changed your onetime thermostat’southward temperature to relieve free energy, what did you prepare information technology to?
If you want to effort balancing free energy savings and condolement, and y’all:
- had a programmed schedule for your sometime thermostat
- manually inverse the temperature when you left dwelling
Effort selecting a slightly lower heating temperature (or college cooling temperature) than what y’all set your old thermostat to to save energy. Since your Nest thermostat will only automatically switch to the Eco Temperature when your home is unoccupied, you may not notice the temperature difference.
What practice you think are the lowest or highest temperatures that you would be OK with?
If you lot really want to focus on saving free energy, try setting yourHeat to orCool to Eco Temperatures a flake more aggressively, but don’t go beyond what you lot experience will be comfortable for you, other people, and your pets.
Tip: Eco Temperature settings are just 1 way your Nest thermostat tin assist you save energy. Learn more than about how to ameliorate free energy savings.
Example for choosing an Eco Temperature
Let’s say you accept a heating-only system and like the temperature at seventy° F (21° C) when you’re dwelling house. If your home is well insulated and your system heats your home fairly quickly, you might decide to selection 56° F (13.5° C) every bit an Eco Temperature. Yous know your dwelling house won’t take long to heat to a comfortable temperature after switching out of Eco. So you can attempt to save more than energy while notwithstanding remaining pretty comfortable.
On the other hand, if your home isn’t well insulated and your organisation is deadening to estrus information technology, yous might decide on 62° F (16.5° C) Since the Eco Temperature is closer to your preferred temperature, your home should take less fourth dimension to get comfortable after your thermostat switches out of Eco.
Prepare Eco Temperatures to turn on automatically when anybody’s abroad
Your thermostat can automatically switch to Eco Temperature when everyone’s away and switch to a more than comfortable temperature when someone comes home.
If you have a Nest Thermostat, y’all’ll need to prepare up Home & Away Routines to enable automatic switching.
If you have a Nest Learning Thermostat or Nest Thermostat Eastward, you’ll need to set upward Domicile/Away Assist to enable automated switching.
How to tell which thermostat you take
- Your Nest thermostat uses its own activity sensors, sensor data from your other Google Nest products, and your telephone’s location to tell when everyone has left or someone has come home.
- When anybody has left, your thermostat will expect a short while to make sure nobody’due south coming dorsum, and so it will automatically switch to Eco Temperatures.
Your thermostat may wait up to i-2 hours earlier switching to Eco temperatures if you’re using device sensors to sense your presence in the home, and the sensors detect activity around the time everyone leaves. This longer look fourth dimension will happen fifty-fifty if you’re as well using telephone location to help tell if you’re dwelling or not. To avoid this situation, apply only telephone location to sense presence and disable the other device sensors in your home’due south presence settings.
- If your thermostat has automatically switched to Eco Temperatures, information technology will switch dorsum to its regular heating or cooling schedule when someone returns home.
- Your thermostat will also switch to Eco Temperatures if you manually switch your dwelling house to Away mode with the Nest or Home app.
- Your thermostat will too leave Eco Temperatures and resume its regular heating or cooling schedule if you change the temperature with the Nest or Home app.
Set Eco Temperatures to hold for a long period of time
Sometimes you want Eco Temperature to stay on for a long period of time. For example, if you go on vacation, y’all may want your thermostat to maintain Eco Temperature the whole time.
Yous’ll gear up long-term Eco Temperature differently depending on your thermostat.
How to tell which thermostat you lot take
You can ready your Nest Thermostat to hold Eco Temperature in the Google Home app
- Open the Domicile app
- Touch and concord your thermostat’s tile tap Settings
- Tap Hold
- Select the terminate fourth dimension you want.
- Yous can also select
if you don’t desire Eco Temperature to turn off at a set time.
Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E
When you set your thermostat to Eco Temperature manually, it will hold the temperature until yous change information technology.
You can manually switch to Eco Temperatures whenever you want. To use the Nest or Dwelling house app or your thermostat, simply cull Eco on the screen where you switch your system’s mode. If you’ve ready upwards the Google Assistant, you tin besides tell it to switch your thermostat to Eco Temperatures.
Switch thermostat modes
Use the Google Assistant with Nest products
When you lot manually activate Eco Temperatures, your thermostat volition immediately switch.
Behaviors when manually switching to Eco Temperatures
Your thermostat and system behaviors are different when you manually switch to Eco Temperatures compared to when it’southward automatically set up:
- It will maintain Eco Temperatures fifty-fifty if someone comes dwelling house.
- It won’t switch back to your regular temperature schedule until you lot manually switch information technology to a heating or cooling fashion.
- If you take more than than one thermostat in your domicile, you’ll have to switch each of them to Eco Temperatures individually.
- If yous manually set your thermostat to Eco Temperature, your home won’t switch between Dwelling house or Away modes. And so the other products in your home won’t be affected. For case, your cameras won’t switch on or off.
- If yous manually gear up your Nest dwelling toAway mode, all your thermostats will automatically switch to Eco Temperatures. They’ll switch dorsum to heating or cooling when someone comes abode or if they sense motion.
- Your habitation’due south Away mode is always automated. Even if you manually fix your dwelling to Away, it will switch back to Dwelling mode if your thermostat sees activity or if a phone that’south prepare to help with presence sensing enters the business firm.
Set Eco Temperatures temporarily when you’re at abode
You might want to set your thermostat to Eco Temperature for a curt fourth dimension to salvage free energy while you’re at habitation.
You’ll set up temporary Eco Temperature differently depending on your thermostat.
How to tell which thermostat y’all accept
You can set up your thermostat to Eco Temperature in the Google Home app
- Open the Home app
touch on and agree your thermostat’s tile
- Tap Preset
You tin can also use a voice control to Google Assistant.
Nest Thermostat volition resume your normal schedule when the temperature is next scheduled to change. Or, you can manually conform to a more than comfortable temperature at whatsoever time with the thermostat or the Abode app.
Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E
You lot can manually switch to Eco Temperatures whenever you want. To use the Nest or Home app or your thermostat, simply choose Eco on the screen where you switch your system’southward mode. If you lot’ve set up the Google Assistant, you tin also tell information technology to switch your thermostat to Eco Temperatures.
Switch thermostat modes
Employ the Google Assistant with Nest products
When y’all manually activate Eco Temperatures, your thermostat will immediately switch without any delay.
Behaviors when manually switching to Eco Temperatures
Your thermostat and organization behaviors are different when you manually switch to Eco Temperatures compared to when it’s automatically set:
- It volition maintain Eco Temperatures even if someone comes home.
- It won’t switch back to your regular temperature schedule until you manually switch it to a heating or cooling manner.
- If you have more than ane thermostat in your home, you lot’ll take to switch each of them to Eco Temperatures individually.
- If you manually gear up your thermostat to Eco Temperature, your abode won’t switch between Home or Abroad modes. So the other products in your domicile won’t exist affected. For example, your cameras won’t switch on or off.
- If y’all manually ready your Nest home toAway mode, all your thermostats volition automatically switch to Eco Temperatures. They’ll switch dorsum to heating or cooling when someone comes home or if they sense move.
- Your home’south Away way is always automatic. Fifty-fifty if yous manually set your home to Away, information technology will switch dorsum to Home mode if your thermostat sees activity or if a phone that’s gear up to help with presence sensing enters the house.
How to alter which temperature Eco heats or cools to
Earlier you brainstorm
If your Nest Learning Thermostat or Nest Thermostat E controls heating you lot’ll see “Oestrus to.” If it controls cooling, y’all’ll also see a “Cool to” setting. If you accept a Nest Thermostat, its heating settings will exist orange in the Dwelling app, and its cooling settings volition exist blue.
- Heat to: Your thermostat volition turn on heating if the temperature in your home drops below this temperature. A lower setting will allow your dwelling get libation, but tin can save more free energy. Y’all can besides choose “Off.” If y’all do, your thermostat will not turn on heating while prepare to Eco unless your home reaches Safety Temperature.
- Cool to: Your thermostat will turn on cooling if the temperature in your dwelling house gets higher than this temperature. A college setting will permit your home get warmer, but tin ordinarily save more than energy. You tin also choose “Off.” If you practise, your thermostat will not plough on cooling while set to Eco unless your home reaches Safety Temperature.
- Note: If your Eco Temperature is set up to “Off.” your thermostat volition not turn on your organisation to oestrus or cool your home while it’due south set to Eco unless your abode reaches Safety Temperature. Your thermostat will still follow your fan schedule (if yous accept one) and will maintain Safety Temperature, which helps ensure that your pipes won’t freeze and that your habitation won’t become damaged by excessive estrus.
With the Nest or Abode app
You can modify Eco Temperature settings in the Home and Nest apps, depending on which thermostat you accept.
With the Dwelling house app
Note: If you lot’ve set upward Home & Away Routines, y’all tin use the Abode app to select if your thermostat will use Eco Temperatures while you’re dwelling or abroad.
Change Home & Abroad Routines settings
With the Nest app
- Select your thermostat on the Nest app dwelling screen.
- Tap Settings in the top right corner of the screen.
- SelectHome/Abroad Assist.
- At the top of the screen you can disable automatically switching to Eco Temperatures.
- You can also select if your thermostat will use Eco Temperatures while you’re home or away.
- Tap onEco Temperatures to set the temperature range.
- To adjust the range, drag the slider.
Tip:The Nest Leafage will announced to let you lot know you’ve chosen a temperature that tin help save energy.
With your thermostat
- Press your thermostat ring to open theQuick View menu.
- Select the temperature you desire. If your thermostat controls heating you’ll run acrossRut to. If it controls cooling, yous’ll likewise meetCool to.
- Press the thermostat ring to select the temperature you want to modify. Turn the ring to conform information technology, then press over again to set it.
Tip:The Nest Leaf volition appear to let you know you’ve chosen a temperature that tin can help salvage energy.
- SelectWashed to save your changes.
Was this helpful?
How tin can nosotros improve it?