Sony’s PlayStation 4 was the biggest console of the last generation, with over 100m units sold since its release back in 2013. Since it was announced, the PS4 has seen a number of changes – both in terms of hardware and software – simply one feature that has remained unchanged is Remote Play, a feature that allows yous to play your favourite PS4 games from anywhere with a loftier-speed internet connection.
But despite being available on the PS4 for quite some time, not many people know about the functionality. So, without further ado, hither’s everything y’all need to know nigh PS4 Remote Play and how to use information technology on your PC, Mac, iPhone, Android or PS Vita.
If yous’re new to the globe of PlayStation and want to find out more about what the consoles offer, have a wait at our PS4 vs PS4 Pro comparing and our 4K-enabled PS4 Pro review. And of grade, if you’re set to upgrade, there’s the new PS5 too.
What practise I need for PS4 Remote Play?
Before we explicate how to fix and utilise PS4 Remote Play on PC, Android and PS Vita, we should showtime outline what is needed in terms of software and hardware to admission the service. To admission your PS4 from anywhere, you’ll need:
- PS4 with Organization Software three.50 or later
- DualShock 4 controller
- USB cable
- PlayStation Network business relationship
- Internet connection with at to the lowest degree 5Mbps download and upload speeds, ideally 12Mbps
- Device to access PS4 Remote Play (PC, Mac, applicative iOS, Android or PS Vita)
It’s also worth noting that if you’re planning to access your PS4 via your PC or Mac, you lot’ll be able to talk to your friends via voice chat, and then it might be worth investing in a cheap gaming headset if you don’t already have one.
How to enable PS4 Remote Play
The beginning step in using PS4 Remote Play to access your PS4 from anywhere in the earth is to enable remote access to your PS4. To do this, turn on your PS4 and caput to Settings > Remote Play Connection Settings and make sure the ‘Enable Remote Play’ checkbox is ticked.
Your panel should besides be prepare as your ‘Primary’ PS4 to be able to remotely access your favourite games – information technology’s not mandatory, only makes the setup process much easier. It’s something that many would’ve activated during the initial setup of the PS4, only but in case you haven’t already, head to Settings > PlayStation Network/Account Direction > Activate every bit Your Primary PS4 and select Activate.
Finally, y’all’ll want to permit Remote Play to power on the PS4 when it’s in Rest mode – you lot don’t want to leave your PS4 on all the time, do you? To enable the choice, only head to Settings > Power Save Settings > Set Features Available in Balance Style and brand sure ‘Stay Continued to the Net’ and ‘Enable Turning On PS4 from Network’ are both enabled.
That’s it! Apart from the initial setup for the device you’ll be playing on (which we come to below), your PS4 is now fix for Remote Play.
How to use PS4 Remote Play on PC or Mac
And so, how do you use PS4 Remote Play on your PC or Mac? It’s a surprisingly uncomplicated process, merely you’ll first demand to connect the two machines:
- Download and install the PS4 Remote Play client for PC and Mac from the Sony website.
- Turn on your PS4.
- Connect your DualShock four controller to your PC or Mac with a Micro-USB cable or via Bluetooth.
- Launch PS4 Remote Play on your PC or Mac, and select Start.
- Sign in with your PlayStation Network business relationship – this must be the aforementioned account as what was used to sign in on your PS4.
- The app will search for your PS4 and will link the 2 machines.
Once your PS4 and PC/Mac have been linked, information technology’s as simple equally connecting your DualShock iv PC to your PC/Mac via Micro-USB or Bluetooth and opening the PS4 Remote Play app. The app should then automatically connect to your PS4, ready to play the latest games.
How to use PS4 Remote Play on iOS and Android
Too as being able to access your favourite PS4 games on your PC or Mac, Sony’s game streaming service is available on iOS and Android post-obit a lengthy Xperia-only exclusivity period.
It’s a similar process to connect to your PS4 via your smartphone:
- Download the Remote Play app on the App Shop or Google Play.
- Turn on your PS4.
- Open the PS4 Remote Play app on your phone.
- Sign in with the same PSN business relationship every bit is used on your PS4, and click adjacent.
- The app should locate and pair with your PS4, ready for remote admission.
But how do you play PS4 games on a smartphone? It’s non exactly designed for fast-paced FPS activeness, after all. You tin use the on-screen touch on controls to play your PS4 games, but information technology’south far from an platonic experience. You can, withal, connect your PS4 controller to your smartphone with a bit of know-how.
- Hold down the Share and PlayStation buttons of your DualShock four controller until the light starts to flash.
- On your smartphone, head to the Bluetooth bill of fare and search for new devices.
- Select the DualShock iv controller and pair information technology with your smartphone.
And that’southward information technology! Y’all should then be able to open up the PS4 Remote Play app and play your favourite PS4 games via your smartphone.
How to use PS4 Remote Play on PS Vita
While many may have forgotten nigh the PS Vita, one of the master selling points of the console is/was that it was the first device to offer PS4 Remote Play. Admittedly with the app at present available on Android and PC/Mac it doesn’t sound that neat, only it’s all the same an easy manner to play your PS4 games on the go as you don’t demand to use a DualShock 4 controller.
So, how do you connect to your PS4 via your PS Vita? Information technology’s a slightly different procedure to those mentioned above, and requires you lot to exist most your PS4 during setup.
- Turn on your PS4.
- Go to Settings > Remote Play Connection Settings and select Add together a Device.
- You should come across an eight-digit lawmaking displayed on-screen. Brand a annotation of this.
- Open up the Remote Play app on your PS Vita.
- Enter the 8-digit code displayed on the PS4, and expect for them to finish pairing.
Once information technology’s paired, simply access the Remote Play app to connect to your PS4 and play your favourite games while not at home.