Fix QuickTime Errors & QuickTime Operation Could Non Be Completed
QuickTime Thespian is a great recording tool as it allows you lot to record not only your voice and your Mac’s screen but too your iPhone or iPad’due south screen every bit long equally they are continued. However, you may sometimes experience QuickTime Actor not working correctly on Mac, such equally tin’t save QuickTime screen recording.
“The operating could non be completed.” may pop up at whatsoever stage of a screen recording, such as when starting a new flick recording, clicking the Tape button, saving your edited or trimmed video, or choosing your iPhone/iPad as the camera, or later unplugging your iPhone without closing QuickTime.
Besides, you may receive other error messages while trimming or exporting a video, such equally “The operation could not be completed. An unknown mistake occurred (-12780).”, “The operation could not be completed. An unknown error occurred (-16979).”, or “Operation Stopped The operation is not supported for this media.”
Information technology’southward as well not uncommon to see “QuickTime Player encountered an error while recording your screen.
Endeavour using the Screenshot app instead.” when clicking on “New Screen Recording.”
This post will serve as your guide to solving these QuickTime Player problems.
Guide to QuickTime Thespian not working:
- i. Set QuickTime operation could not be completed when recording iPhone/iPad
- 2. Gear up QuickTime performance could non be completed on Mac
- 3. Set QuickTime Player encountered an error while recording your screen.
- 4. Prepare QuickTime Operation stopped The functioning is not supported for this media.
- v. Set up QuickTime Cannot Record
- 6. FAQ about QuickTime operation could not be completed
Fix QuickTime operation could non be completed when recording iPhone/iPad
Hither are the solutions to fixing “The operation could non be completed.” on QuickTime when recording iPhone/iPad:
- Ensure your iPhone/iPad is firmly connected to your Mac.
- Try some other cable or port.
- Reset all settings on your iPhone/iPad. To do this, open Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset All settings. (Following these steps will restore all settings on your iPhone to default but won’t remove your data or media. Y’all demand to reconfigure certain settings after that.
- Restart your Mac and the iOS device.
Prepare QuickTime operation could non be completed on Mac
Here are the solutions to try if you see “The functioning could not be completed. An unknown mistake occurred (-12780).”, “The functioning could not be completed. An unknown error occurred (-16979).” or “The operation could not be completed.” on QuickTime when trimming videos, exporting files on Mac, starting a new recording, etc.:
- If QuickTime trim operation could non be completed, consider converting the file to another .mp4 using a video converter like Handbrake.
- Reboot your Mac to clear caches, and minor bugs that may result in QuickTime operation could not exist completed.
- Check the permission settings of the folder you save recordings to. You tin can do that by right-clicking on the folder, choosing “Get Info,” then looking at the “Sharing & Permission” section. If the folder is prepare to Read Only for your user account, change it to “Read & Write,” then click the action pop-upward and cull “Use to enclosed items.” Alternatively, you can save it to another folder.
- Unplug your external monitor, so retry QuickTime recording.
- If “The performance could non exist completed.” appears when editing a video imported from the Photos app. Y’all can drag the video to a binder, then edit it using QuickTime.
- If you can’t export the QuickTime video, try the Share feature. For instance, you can share with the Mail app, then save the attachment.
- Suppose the error yet exists and the video QuickTime won’t piece of work with is open. You lot tin can open Finder, click Become > Go to Folder from the top, copy and paste~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Data, then press Enter. Adjacent, right-click the unsaved file and choose “Show Package Contents.” When a separate window opens with your video/recording and the index file, drag and drop them to your desktop.
- If you keep getting “The operation could not be completed. An unknown fault occurred (-12780).” when trimming video in QuickTime, yous tin can switch to iMovie.
- If you use an external photographic camera with QuickTime, endeavor quitting QuickTime and disconnecting the photographic camera, restarting your Mac, and then recording once more.
- Force quit QuickTime Histrion in Activity Monitor and then restart it.
Ready QuickTime Actor encountered an error while recording your screen.
“QuickTime Thespian encountered an error while recording your screen. Try using the Screenshot app instead.” oft occurs when selecting “New Screen Recording” from QuickTime Player on Mac. Try the fixes below to go it resolved:
- Check your Dock to encounter whether a duplicate of the QuickTime icon exists. If so, effort using another one and remove the malfunctioning copy from your Dock.
- If you tin can’t start a QuickTime screen recording, endeavor recording with the keyboard shortcut Command + Shift + 5.
- Update your Mac to the latest operating organization.
Suppose QuickTime won’t permit y’all start a new recording no matter what you effort; requite iBoysoft MagicMenu a try. Information technology allows you to open a new QuickTime screen recording by right-clicking on your Mac’s desktop. Additionally, information technology can create new files and quickly re-create & move documents betwixt different directories.
If y’all keep encountering “Functioning stopped The functioning is not supported for this media.” when exporting videos from QuickTime, QuickTime is probable having issues. Y’all can quit QuickTime Player and reopen it to start fresh. Apart from that, try converting the source video to .mp4, then trim or edit with QuickTime Player.
Fix QuickTime Cannot Record
Some users may get the error “Cannot record. Endeavor recording again.” when initiating a recording on Mac. In which case, yous should first try to update your operating system to the latest version. If QuickTime Histrion is not working every bit before, disabling Power Nap should do the trick. Follow the steps below:
- Go to the Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click Battery on your notebook Mac or “Energy Saver” on your desktop Mac.
- Click “Power Adapter.”
- Uncheck the box next to “Enable power nap while plugged into a power adapter.”
If you have other devices plugged in like a Bluetooth device, try disconnecting and reconnecting them.
Hopefully, you accept resolved the QuickTime error with the methods this post offers. You can share this post to assist others by clicking the button below.
FAQ about QuickTime operation could not be completed
Various reasons can cause QuickTime not to work on your Mac, such as an outdated QuickTime version, corrupted video files, organization bugs, etc.
QuickTime may reports errors like ‘The operation could not be completed.’ and cease you from exporting a video if the video format isn’t well supported, your business relationship doesn’t have write access to the folder where the edited video is stored, or your operating system has glitches.
QuickTime should be automatically updated when you update your operating system.
Jenny is a technical writer at iBoysoft, specializing in figurer-related cognition such as macOS, Windows, hard drives, etc. She’s too been producing top-notch articles for other famous technical magazines and websites.
Jessica Shee is a senior tech editor at iBoysoft. Throughout her 3 years of experience, Jessica has written many informative and instructional articles in data recovery, data security, and deejay direction to assist a lot of readers secure their important documents and have the best reward of their devices.