Congratulations on becoming a Raspberry Pi 4 explorer. We’re sure you’ll enjoy discovering a whole new world of calculating and the chance to handcraft your ain games, control your own robots and machines, and share your experiences with other Raspberry Pi fanatics.
Getting started won’t take long: merely corral all the bits and bobs on our checklist, plus peradventure a funky case. Useful extras include some headphones or speakers if y’all’re keen on using Raspberry Pi every bit a media centre or gaming machine.
To get set, simply format your microSD card, download NOOBS, and run the Raspbian installer. This guide will lead through each footstep. You’ll find the Raspbian Bone, including coding programs and office software, all available to use. After that, the globe of digital making with Raspberry Pi awaits you.
What you need to set upwardly Raspberry Pi 4
Raspberry Pi 4. If you don’t have many of the parts listed below you can buy a Raspberry Pi 4 desktop kit (which contains a Raspberry Pi 4, keyboard, mouse).
. You’ll need a microSD menu with a capacity of 8GB or greater. Your Raspberry Pi uses information technology to shop games, programs, and photo files and boots from your operating organization, which runs from it. You lot’ll also demand a microSD card reader to connect the bill of fare to a PC, Mac, or Linux calculator.
- microSD bill of fare to SD card (or microSD menu USB adaptor). Many laptops take an SD bill of fare socket, merely you’ll need a microSD carte du jour to SD carte du jour adaptor to plug the small microSD card the Raspberry Pi uses to your computer. If your laptop does not accept a SD card socket, you’ll need a microSD card to USB Adaptor.
Computer. You’ll need a Windows, Linux PC (like the Raspberry Pi), or an Apple Mac computer to format the microSD card and download the initial setup software for your Raspberry Pi. It doesn’t affair what operating system this reckoner runs, because it’s just for copying the files across.
USB keyboard. Like any reckoner, you need a means to enter web addresses, type commands, and otherwise control Raspberry Pi. You can use a Bluetooth keyboard, only the initial setup process is much easier with a wired keyboard. Raspberry Pi sells an official Keyboard and Hub.
USB mouse. A tethered mouse that physically attaches to your Raspberry Pi via a USB port is simplest and, unlike a Bluetooth version, is less likely to go lost simply when you need it. Like the keyboard, we retrieve it’s all-time to perform the setup with a wired mouse. Raspberry Pi sells an Official Mouse.
Power supply. Raspberry Pi uses the same blazon of USB power connection as your average smartphone. So you tin can recycle an old USB Type-C for Raspberry Pi iv and a smartphone power supply (information technology should be a 15W power supply to provide effective power to the Raspberry Pi 4). Raspberry Pi likewise sells official power supplies, which provide a reliable source of power.
micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. Raspberry Pi 4 tin can power two HDMI displays, but requires a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable (if you lot want to reuse a regular HDMI cablevision you lot can likewise buy a micro-HDMI to HDMI adaptor).
- HDMI display. A standard PC monitor is platonic, every bit the screen volition be large plenty to read comfortably. It needs to have an HDMI connection, as that’s what’s fitted on your Raspberry Pi 4 lath.
Connect the keyboard, mouse, and monitor cables
Raspberry Pi four has plenty of connections, making it easy to set up. You’ll interact with the Raspberry Pi using a keyboard and mouse
- Connect the keyboard. Connect a regular wired PC (or Mac) keyboard to ane of the 4 larger USB A sockets on a Raspberry Pi 4. It doesn’t matter which USB A socket you connect it to (although nosotros think information technology’s ameliorate to utilise the black connection, saving the faster blue one for other devices). It is possible to connect a Bluetooth keyboard, but it’s much meliorate to use a wired keyboard to start with.
- Connect a mouse. Connect a USB wired mouse to one of the other larger USB A sockets on Raspberry Pi. As with the keyboard, it is possible to use a Bluetooth wireless mouse, but setup is much easier with a wired connection. A regular wired mouse is connected to any of the USB A sockets. A wired keyboard is connected to another of the USB A sockets. If you have a Raspberry Pi 4, it’due south best to go on the faster (blue) USB 3.0 sockets gratuitous for flash drives or other components.
- Attach the micro-HDMI cable. Next, connect Raspberry Pi to your brandish using a micro-HDMI cablevision. This can connect to either of the micro-HDMI sockets on the side of a Raspberry Pi 4,we prefer to attach it to HDMI 0, which is the one closest to the power socket. Connect the other stop of the micro-HDMI cable to an HDMI monitor or goggle box.
Set upwards Raspberry Pi OS: Raspbian
Now you’ve got all the pieces together, it’due south time to install an operating organisation on your Raspberry Pi, so you can start using it. Raspberry Pi uses a custom operating system called Raspbian (based upon a variant of Linux called ‘Debian’).
We’re going to apply a set of software called NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software) to install Raspbian Os on your microSD card and start your Raspberry Pi
Raspbian is the official OS for Raspberry Pi, and the easiest way to ready Raspbian on your Raspberry Pi is to use NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software).
If you lot bought a NOOBS pre-installed 16GB microSD carte, yous can skip Steps i to three. Otherwise, you’ll need to format a microSD bill of fare and copy the NOOBS software to information technology.
1. Download SD Menu Formatter tool
Start by downloading SD Card Formatter tool from the SD Card Association website. Now attach the microSD card to your PC or Mac computer and launch SD Card Formatter (click Yes to allow Windows to run it). If the card isn’t automatically recognised, remove and reattach information technology and click Refresh. The card should be selected automatically (or cull the right i from the list).
2. Format the microSD
Choose the Quick Format option and and then click Format (if using a Mac, yous’ll demand to enter your admin countersign at this indicate). When the card has completed the formatting procedure, it’s gear up for use in your Raspberry Pi. Go out the microSD card in your computer for now and only notation the location of your duly formatted SD card. Windows will oft assign it a difficult drive letter, such as E; on a Mac it will announced in the Devices part of a Finder window.
3. Download NOOBS
Click here to download the NOOBS software from Raspberry Pi. Cull Download Zip (or use the Torrent file if y’all’re experienced with torrents and wish to save Raspberry Pi the bandwidth). NOOBS (New Out Of Box System) provides a pick of Raspberry Pi operating systems and installs them for you. Click ‘Download null’ and save the file to your Downloads folder. When the zip file download is consummate, double-click to launch and uncompress the folder. You’ll demand to copy all the files from the NOOBS folder to your SD card. Press CTRL+A (⌘+A on a Mac) to select all the files, so drag all the files to the SD card binder. Once they’ve copied across, eject your SD carte du jour. Be careful to re-create the files inside the NOOBS binder to the microSD card (not the NOOBS binder itself).
4. Insert the microSD card to Raspberry Pi four
Now it’s fourth dimension to physically set up your Raspberry Pi. Flip over Raspberry Pi iv and locate the microSD card socket underneath. Carefully insert the microSD card. It will only fit in i way around, so if it’s struggling to go in flip the microSD card over. Once it’s inserted all the fashion in, information technology’s time to outset up your Raspberry Pi. Check that your PC monitor is plugged into the mains and that the HDMI cable is running to the respective HDMI port on your Raspberry Pi. Bank check that both the keyboard and mouse are connected to USB ports on Raspberry Pi four.
v. Power upwards
Plug in your Raspberry Pi power supply and, after a few seconds, the screen should come on. When the NOOBS installer appears, yous’ll see a selection of operating systems. We’re going to install Raspbian, the first and most pop one. Tick this option and click Install, so click Yes to confirm. For more Bone options, instead click ‘Wifi networks’ and enter your wireless password; more Bone choices will appear. Installation takes its time but volition complete – eventually. After this, a bulletin confirming the success installation appears. Your Raspberry Pi volition prompt you to click OK, after which it will reboot and load the Raspbian Os.
vi. Welcome to Raspberry Pi
When Raspbian loads for the commencement fourth dimension, you will see this Welcome screen:
Click Next, when prompted, then select your time zone and preferred linguistic communication and create a login countersign. You’re now fix to become online. Choose your WiFi network and type any required password. Once connected, click Next to allow Raspbian to cheque for any Os updates. When it’s done then, it may ask to reboot and so the updates can be applied.
Now y’all’re fix to beginning using Raspberry Pi. Click the Raspberry Pi icon at the top-left of the screen to access items such equally programming IDEs, a web browser, media actor, epitome viewer, games, and accessories such as a figurer, file director, and text editor. You’re all gear up to start enjoying your very own Raspberry Pi.
- Introducing Raspberry Pi 4 in The MagPi 83
- Win a Raspberry Pi 4 and accessories!
- Raspberry Pi 4 specs and benchmarks
- Raspberry Pi four: Raspbian ‘Buster’ interview
- Eben Upton on engineering a Raspberry Pi 4