Chromebooks are brilliant devices, if you don’t demand a laptop that can handle demanding programs. If you’re in it for the browser feel, getting a Chromebook is a brilliant idea. Nevertheless, some features can get to be a bit too much.
The touchscreen is a prime example. It’s fine for like shooting fish in a barrel browsing and makes for a smashing combination of smartphone- and laptop-like navigation. All the same, you lot’re going to want to turn off the touchscreen and touchpad on your Chromebook at times. Luckily, Google has thought this through and fabricated turning the touch screen on/off very easy.
Here’due south how to deal with the touchscreen and touchpad, as well as some extra touchpad tips.
Why Disable the Touchscreen?
Having a touchscreen on a laptop is great. You can apply the screen without resorting to the touchpad, while still being able to type using the keyboard. At times, though, you’ll want to point at the screen and have zippo happen. This is why Google has made the pick to plow it off and on at will.
Why Disable the Touchpad?
Permit’due south say that y’all use the touchscreen characteristic instead of the touchpad selection. Or maybe you lot’ve plugged in the regular mouse into your Chromebook. Every once in a while, you’ll accidentally touch the touchpad while typing and the arrow will annoyingly move. Even worse, you may click and perform an action that you didn’t desire to do.
This is why the touchpad feature tin be readily turned on or off on Chromebooks.
Disabling the Touchscreen/Touchpad
Chromebooks aren’t similar your regular laptops. They have simpler features than Windows devices and MacBooks. In fact, near tweaks are done from the bodily Chrome browser on the laptop. This may sound a little annoying, merely information technology certainly adds to the simplicity attribute here.
- To disable the touchscreen and/or touchpad, open up the Chrome browser on your Chromebook.
- Then, type in “chrome://flags/#ash-debug-shortcuts” in the address bar.
- From the next screen, locate
Debugging keyboard shortcuts. Information technology’s probably going to be highlighted.
to enable this option.
- Now, restart the device and utilize the
Search + Shift + T
to disable the touchscreen function.
- To disable the touchpad function, press
Search + Shift + P.
Extra Tips Near Using the Touchpad
It may not seem that way, but the Chromebook touchpad has more functionalities than your regular laptop touchpad. So, before disabling the touchpad forever, check out these tips and give them a go.
- To click, tap or press the bottom one-half of the touchpad.
- To perform a right-click action, just press/tap the touchpad using 2 fingers at the same time. Alternatively, press
and then click/tap with ane finger.
- To scroll, place two fingers on the touchpad and motility them left/correct to perform a horizontal gyre or upwards/down to perform a vertical scroll.
- If yous want to go back to a folio y’all were on, swipe left with two fingers. Swipe correct using two fingers to go forward.
- To see all open windows, use 3 fingers and swipe downwards or up.
- To shut a tab, hover your pointer over it and tap/click the touchpad using iii fingers. To open up a web link in a new tab, hover over the link and tap/click the touchpad using three fingers. Swipe left/right using three fingers to switch between multiple tabs.
- Finally, to move an item from bespeak A to point B, click it and hold it using 1 finger. Then, drag the item to the desired location.
- To change how the touchpad works, become to
and change the settings in the
Touchpad/Touchpad and mouse
Frequently Asked Questions
Why isn’t the keyboard shortcut disabling the impact screen?
Search + Shift + T
command isn’t working, and then y’all’ll either need to enable the shortcut in the Chrome browser, equally mentioned higher up, or yous’ll need to enable the Search primal if you previously disabled information technology.
Turning Off the Touchscreen and Touchpad
Equally you can come across, turning off the touchscreen and touchpad on your Chromebook is adequately like shooting fish in a barrel. All yous need to do is enable the Debugging keyboard shortcuts option. Shuffle between touchpad and touchscreen and use the mentioned tips for a seamless browsing experience on your Chromebook.
Did you find this tutorial useful? Did yous acquire how to work the touchscreen and touchpad on your Chromebook? Permit u.s. know in the comments section below. And don’t be afraid to inquire whatever questions or add some extra tips.